Official Contest Rules
The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality invites 6th to 12th grade Texas students to participate in the Take Care of Texas Video Contest (Contest). The contest runs from Sept. 3, 2019, through Dec. 6, 2019.
To enter, students must create a 30-second video that portrays positive ways Texans can help keep our air clean, keep our water clean, conserve water, save energy, or reduce waste.
There will be a total of six big winners! Waste Management of Texas Inc. will provide the prizes—GoPro camera packages and scholarships. The TCEQ will invite 1st place winners to Austin to be recognized at the 2020 Environmental Trade Fair and Conference.
Contest rules and dates may be changed at the TCEQ’s sole discretion.
- Video must portray positive ways Texans can protect the environment in their daily lives, including keeping the air clean, keeping the water clean, conserving water, saving energy, or reducing waste. It is important that the video portrays a positive message. Due to the time limitations of a 30 second video, students are encouraged to explore just one of these topics.
- Video must include the slogan “Take Care of Texas. It’s the only one we’ve got.” The slogan can be expressed either verbally or by using the Take Care of Texas logo provided on our Video Tips page.
- TakeCareOfTexas.org is the only allowable source for statistical information, facts, and data.
- Groups cannot enter the contest. While students may work in groups to create a video, only one student may be listed on the Video Contest Entry Form and Agreement and this student will be awarded the prize.
- Each student may submit only one video.
- Videos may not have been previously submitted, distributed, or aired or have won any other award in any other competition.
- Video must be 30 seconds long.
- The recommended video quality is 1920p by 1080p.
- Students must submit a video script.
- Video must be original work created by the contest participant. Students may receive guidance from a teacher, parent, or guardian.
- All video and music content must be original and royalty free or the student must submit written permission from the copyright holder granting use of the copyrighted material.
- Student must provide a Reference Sheet that includes the following:
- All unoriginal content—such as music, video, or images—and the artist name, title of work, and direct URL.
- Unoriginal content includes any part of the video that was not created by the student—including but not limited to stock music, video, or images.
- All facts, statistics, and other information used in the video, with the URLs for the sources.
- Any necessary permissions from artists, authors, trademark owners, etc.
- see the Sample Reference Sheet.
- Video must not contain any copyrighted materials such as company logos, product brands, or store names. Any video containing such video or audio references may be disqualified.
- No obligation or liability is assumed by TCEQ in connection with the contest.
- All submitted videos are owned by TCEQ. Winners and their parents or guardians agree to the use of the winners’ names and likenesses to promote the Take Care of Texas program and future video contests. See Video Contest Entry Form and Agreement for further details.
Texas middle- and high-school students—whether from public, charter, or private schools or homeschooled—are eligible to participate. Applicants must be current residents of Texas, must be enrolled in 6th through 12th grade as of Dec. 6, 2019, and must comply with these Official Rules.
Employees and their immediate families (spouses, parents, siblings, children, and each of the respective spouses or other people living in the same household of each) of TCEQ or WMTX are not eligible to participate.
The entries will be divided into two age groups, middle-school and high-school, and they will be judged by TCEQ staff, the public, the TCEQ Commissioners and Executive Office, and representatives from WMTX.
Ability to gain the viewer’s attention and make a lasting impression.
- Inclusion of the slogan “Take Care of Texas. It’s the only one we’ve got.”, either expressed verbally or with the logos provided on the Video Tips page.
- Quality including characteristics such as accuracy, creativity, persuasiveness, clarity, and overall visual and audio production quality.
- How well it conveys positive ways to take care of Texas.
In the first round, Take Care of Texas staff will review all the submitted videos and select the top 12, six from each age group. These top 12 videos will be posted on our website, for the second round of judging.
- In the second round, the public will get the chance to vote for their favorites from among the top 12 videos posted on our website. Public voting will be held starting Jan. 15, 2020, at 8:00 a.m. CST and end Jan. 29, 2020, at 4:00 p.m. CST. The top three from each age group will then go on to the final round.
- In the final round of judging, commissioners and executive staff from TCEQ and representatives from WMTX will pick the first-, second-, and third-place winners from each age group.
- All judgments are final.
There will be six big winners and WMTX will provide the prizes.
Winners will be announced on February 24, 2020.
Prizes for high school students (grades 9 through 12) will include scholarship funds awarded as follows:
1st place: $2,500
2nd place: $1,500
3rd place: $500
Prizes for middle school students (grades 6 through 8) will include GoPro cameras and accessories awarded as follows:
1st place: GoPro HERO7 Black Premium Package (approx. value, $850)
2nd place: GoPro HERO7 Black Deluxe Package (approx. value, $540)
3rd place: GoPro HERO7 Black Package (approx. value, $425)
If the GoPro model listed is unavailable, an equivalent model will be awarded
The middle and high school students who win first place will be invited to Austin, along with their teacher, parent, or guardian, to be recognized by the TCEQ Commissioners and WMTX at the 2020 Environmental Trade Fair and Conference.
All winning videos will be showcased on the Take Care of Texas website, on social media, at the 2020 Environmental Trade Fair and Conference, and in media announcements.
Prizes for middle school winners will be distributed by May 13, 2020. High school prizes will be distributed no later than the first semester following the Video Contest Award.
SUBMITTING YOUR VIDEO
Participating students must upload their entry on or before 4:00 p.m. CST Friday, Dec. 6, 2019 CST, with the required documents. The TCEQ is not responsible for errors with uploading entries. Students are encouraged to submit their videos early to avoid being disqualified due to uploading errors.
Late entries will not be accepted. Videos submitted with incomplete information may be disqualified from judging.
Entries must include the following in their submission package:
- Video file labeled with the student’s first and last name. Maximum file size is 200 MB.
- Video Contest Entry Form and Agreement in PDF.
- A Reference Sheet. See Sample Reference Sheet and instructions under the Video Requirements section of these Official Rules.
- Video script in PDF, DOCX, TXT, or RTF.
- Videos and their required documents should be uploaded to the following URL: takecareoftexas.org/video-contest-submission.
If you have questions, contact us at email@example.com.