Water is a fundamental part of life for humans, animals, and plants. According to the Mayo Clinic, adults need between 11-16 cups of fluid each day and only 20% of that comes from food. The other 80% comes from beverages, including drinking water. The first week of May is Drinking Water Week, so we’re taking the opportunity to shine some light on the importance of drinking water, how drinking water arrives at the tap, and how we can conserve water.
Texas has 23 major river basins supplying water to more than 29 million people; from El Paso and the Guadalupe Mountains to Austin and the rolling hills of Central Texas, to Houston and the Gulf Coast and everywhere in between. As Texas continues to boom in population and experience extreme drought conditions, the demand for water continues to increase. Knowledge of how we get our water can help us learn how to conserve this finite resource.