Fuzzy socks, gift cards, plastic toys...it's time to say goodbye to these go-to gifts! Sustainable gifts help reduce waste, and they can also save your wallet while providing a loved one with something more unique and thoughtful than the typical item. Handmade gifts, upcycled items, and gifting experiences can be great ways to start. Find great gift ideas for your family, friends, and teachers below.
- Repair a beloved item. While this will take you some time, it doesn't require you to purchase an entirely new item.
- Give the gift of your time. Offer to do things like baby-sit, walk the dog, or assist with home improvement projects.
- Have your kids create handmade items with materials you already own. Things like picture frames or ornaments are simple and will be cherished by family members for years to come.
- Donate to a charity in your family member's name. This is a great gift for the person that says they don't need anything.
- Pass along a family heirloom. If you have something that may be meaningful to other family members, consider presenting it to them during the holidays.